In December 2010, Ro-Ro Aegean Star collided with the dock in the port of Mytilene causing a Tier 2 oil spill incident. EPE was assigned for the sea and shoreline oil spill response operation and mobilized experts, trained technicians and a significant number of resources such as antipollution vessel, containment booms, support crafts, skimmers and various vehicles. Our company conducted a shoreline survey as well in order to assess the extent of the affected shore areas and undertake the clean-up operations.
- Our emergency response capabilities and network enabled us once again to initiate the response in no time
- EPE mobilized around 20 personnel and local partners for the oil spill response operations
- Around 4,5km of shoreline found polluted following our survey
- The total duration of the operations was approximately one month
- Our company carried out oil recovery operations from the sea surface as well as clean-up of the surrounding docks, vessels and shoreline
- All areas were officially delivered back to authorities and the public